Are you moving to a new home in the great state of New Jersey? To save money on the move, you decide to rent a truck from a well known rental company. As you're on your way to your new home, the car in front of you stops suddenly. You rear end it causing considerable damage.

Are you covered?


Moving Truck Rental Insurance

If you initialed and signed yes to the insurance questions on the rental form then you're covered. That's because you purchased optional damage waivers and supplemental insurance from the truck rental company.

It's good to check with your insurance agent anyway. Some new jersey auto policies will cover a rental truck. And your new jersey renters or homeowners insurance will probably cover your belongings while in transit.

Again, check with your agent prior to the move to make sure you’re covered; especially since you're driving a vehicle you are unfamiliar with.

You don't want anything to add to the stress of moving and starting a new job by worrying about a truck accident. So, in most cases you're probably best off buying the rental company’s insurance. It's inexpensive and it's reassuring to know that you're definitely covered in the event of an accident.

Contact Hauswirth & Sons Insurance Consultants for a thorough review of this situation. We will give you peace of mind about your insurance coverage for your move to New Jersey.


Now That You're Moved In, What About Insurance?

When you move to another state your auto and homeowner's and insurance will need to change because New Jersey regulations can differ from other states. Insurance companies apply different rates to different states. Plus state laws may differ.

New Jersey Auto Insurance

You can contact your current agent for a referral in your new state or find an agent on your own. But most likely, you'll need to get a new agent (unless your agent is licensed in your New Jersey).

If you move within your state, report your change of address to your agent right away. It may make a difference in your insurance costs since where you live impacts the rates.

New Jersey Homeowners Insurance

If you own a home in New Jersey, you'll have to keep your insurance in force until the house changes ownership.

For your new home you'll have to supply proof of insurance prior to purchase. Even if you rent, you may need to provide proof of renters insurance as part of the lease.

You might want to consider getting umbrella insurance as another layer of coverage for unpredictable events. The umbrella coverage kicks in after your homeowner and or auto insurance policy liability limit is reached.

If your new home is part of an association, you might want to consider loss assessment coverage. This coverage pays for a loss the association might assess its homeowners. For example, if the association gets sued and the judgment is greater than the association's policy limits, they might ask the homeowners to kick in that overage.

Finally, if you store belongings in a commercial storage unit, check your homeowners or renter's insurance to see if its covered. If not, you may have to purchase a storage unit policy.


An Array of Coverage Options

Talk with Hauswirth & Sons Insurance Consultants if you're moving to the New Jersey area or purchasing a second residence near the Jersey Shore. We'll make sure you get the right New Jersey Auto and Homeowner's coverage for your new surroundings. As a leading independent agent, we have many highly rated insurance companies to choose from.

We will be able to obtain the best value and insurance coverage for your situation by making sure you receive all of your allowed premium discounts.

Free Policy Review